LIVERPOOL, England, Aug. 9, 2016 /PRNewswire/ — More than 600 graduates from the University of Liverpool’s online programmes celebrated their graduation during ceremonies and events in Liverpool between 18 and 22 July 2016. They are part of a graduating class of over 1,300 students, representing 126 countries, who have recently completed University of Liverpool masters and doctoral degrees, and postgraduate certificate programmes online.
“We are honoured that our newest alumni who chose to study online with the University of Liverpool also made the trip from around the world to join us in the celebration on campus. This is testimony to the importance of the occasion in their lives,” said the University’s Vice-Chancellor, Professor Janet Beer. “We are so proud that many of our online graduates are already applying their new knowledge, skills and research in their workplaces and communities globally.”
In addition to attending the campus ceremonies, the graduates, their family and friends, and faculty members, were welcomed at the Online Graduates’ Recognition Ceremony & Reception, at the Lutyens Crypt (next to the university campus) on 20 July. The event honoured graduates from several online programmes receiving the Student of the Year and Dissertation of the Year awards, and provided an opportunity for all online graduates to meet and network with their peers from around the world.
The Student of the Year Awards – for outstanding performance throughout an online degree programme – were awarded to:
- Luis Correal, an MSc in Project Management graduate in Canada
- Erin Gilgan, a Master of Public Health (MPH) graduate in Switzerland
- Shazia Haq, an MSc in International Accounting and Finance graduate in Qatar
- Robert Miller, an LLM in Technology and Intellectual Property Law graduate in Canada
- Miriam Morrissey, an MSc in Global Human Resource Management graduate in Saudi Arabia
- Matthias Nott, a Master of Business Administration (MBA) graduate in Switzerland
- Jeff Quail, an MSc in Applied Psychology graduate in Canada
- Cloud Quinn, an MSc in Information Systems and Technology graduate in the UK
- Anne-Kathrin Weber, an MSc in Project Management graduate in Germany
The Dissertation of the Year Awards – for an outstanding dissertation – were awarded to:
- Ignas Galvelis, an MSc in Software Engineering graduate in the UK
- Angela Naa Saku Okai, an LLM in International Finance Banking Law graduate in Ghana
- Hayley Jean Rahman, an MSc in Clinical Research graduate in the UAE
- Fayyaz Samji, a Master of Public Health (MPH) graduate in Canada
- Sabrina Spangsdorf, an MSc in Applied Psychology graduate in Denmark
“What I enjoyed most about studying online with the University of Liverpool was gaining an international perspective on a variety of current public health topics and issues through weekly module discussions with my fellow classmates. These invaluable experiences can only come from studying with professionals from around the globe who are actively working locally in their respective fields,” said MPH graduate Fayyaz Samji, Youth Employment Consultant and Job Developer for 360°kids, a non-governmental organisation in Toronto, Canada.
Graduates from online programmes have the option to receive their degree certificate in person (alongside campus graduates) at graduation ceremonies held twice a year at the University of Liverpool. Designed for working professionals, the University of Liverpool’s fully online learning model enables students to earn an advanced academic degree without interrupting their career – from wherever they are based in the world. Students enjoy an engaging, global and highly collaborative learning experience that provides them with the knowledge and skills to achieve immediate professional impact.
For more information about the University of Liverpool’s online programmes, visit www.online.liverpool.ac.uk.
About the University of Liverpool Online Programmes
The University of Liverpool ranks in the top 1% of universities worldwide as listed in the International Handbook of Universities, published by the International Association of Universities (2014), and is a member of the UK’s Russell Group of research-led universities. More than 10,000 students from more than 160 countries are studying for postgraduate certificates, masters and doctoral degrees online with the University of Liverpool. These programmes are provided in partnership with online learning expert, Laureate Online Education. For more information about Laureate, visit www.laureate.net.