IN the wake of the coup attempt which took place in Turkey on Friday, Tanzania has joined other world leaders to condemn the act, noting that so far there were no reports of any Tanzanians who have been caught up in the crisis.
Speaking in a telephone interview with the 'Sunday News', the Deputy Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, East Africa, Regional and International Cooperation, Ambassador Ramadhan Mwinyi, said Tanzania denounced the said attempt.
"So far we have not received any news regarding our citizens in Turkey, though the country does not have an embassy there," he said.
Mwinyi, however, said that the Tanzanian Embassy in Italy is liaising with the Turkish authorities to find out more details on whether there were any citizens caught up in the crisis.
The government, on the other hand, is closely monitoring the situation and already the president and prime minister of Turkey have issued statements on the issue. "We don't expect the worse to inflict on our people, but we are alert and following the situation very closely.
In case of any developments, we will keep the public posted," he noted.
Meanwhile, some 2,839 soldiers, including high-ranking officers, have been arrested after an attempted coup that is now over, says Turkey's PM Binali Yildirim. It was a "black stain on Turkish democracy," he said, with 161 people killed and 1,440 wounded. Explosions and gunfire were heard in Ankara, Istanbul and elsewhere overnight and thousands of Turks heeded President Erdogan's call to rise up against the coupplotters.
It is unclear who was behind the coup. President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has blamed a 'parallel structure' - a reference to Fethullah Gulen, a powerful but reclusive US-based Muslim cleric whom he accuses of fomenting unrest. Mr Gulen has rejected any suggestion of links to what happened, saying he condemned "in the strongest terms, the attempted military coup in Turkey".
Source: Name News Network