KHARTOUM - Sudanese activists said Wednesday the ruling generals restored internet service in the country, following a weekslong blackout imposed during a deadly crackdown early last month.
The long-waited move came a week after the military council and the pro-democracy movement reached a power-sharing deal, ending a three-month standoff since the military removed autocratic President Omar al-Bashir from power amid nationwide demonstrations against his rule.
A group of legal experts has been finalizing the wording of the deal to be signed by both sides in the coming days.
The military council had blocked internet service after security forces razed a protest camp in the capital of Khartoum on June 3, killing over 128 people in an ensuing three-week crackdown, according to protest organizers. Authorities offered a lower death toll of 61, including three security forces.
The Forces for Declaration of Freedom and Change, which represents the protesters, has repeatedly called for internet service restoration. This demand was one of the trust-building measures set by protesters to resume talks with the generals after the violent dispersal of the sit-in.
A telecommunications affiliate of the Sudanese Professional's Association, which has been spearheading the protests, said that users across the country have been back online. It demanded telecommunication companies compensate users.
Source: Voice of America